Friday, September 03, 2010

The Devil's music as a means of worship?

Philosopher James Chastek relates an interesting anecdote about Jerry Lee Lewis having been kicked out of a Bible college for playing rock music. "He played a concert one night and":

The next morning, the dean of the school called both Lewis and Green [the MC of the concert- ed.] into his office to expel them both. Lewis said that Green shouldn’t be expelled because “he didn’t know what I was going to do.” Years later Green asked Lewis: “Are you still playing the devil’s music?” Lewis replied “Yes, I am. But you know it’s strange, the same music that they kicked me out of school for is the same kind of music they play in their churches today. The difference is, I know I am playing for the devil and they don’t.”

Goodness gracious. Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Art said...

Hmm.. Maybe Jerry Lee thinks the devil = money. If so, he's spot-on with his statement.