Thursday, February 21, 2008

Debate on CATS test Monday night

I will appear on KET's "Kentucky Tonight" program next Monday night, February 25 at 8:00 p.m. to debate Senate Bill 1, which would scrap the state CATS tests in favor of a standardized norm-referenced system. Sharon Oxendine, president of the Kentucky Education Association (the state teacher's union) will be defending the tests. Two other guests have yet to be determined.

UPDATE: Well, hmmm. I think they replaced me. According to Polwatchers today the guests are Fort Thomas Independent Schools Superintendent John Williamson, Senate Majority Leader Dan Kelly, R-Springfield, House budget chairman Harry Moberly Jr., D-Richmond, and state Education Secretary Helen Mountjoy. But that's okay. Kelly is the best man for the job anyway. He's about as articulate a spokesman for common sense in education as there is. It ought to be good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the leader in question, the letter "r" appears twice in "Sharron," and the letter "n" appears twice in "Oxendine."

Martin Cothran said...

I see that I misspelled "Oxendine" in my post (which I fixed), but I'm not sure I know what you mean by the rest. But thanks.

Anonymous said...

The president of the Kentucky Education Association is named Sharron Oxendine.

Since you have omitted the second "r" from her first name, you have spelled incorrectly even though you communicated successfully.

Martin Cothran said...

Hmmm. I took the spelling from the Lexington Herald-Leader. I guess I should know better.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cothran: this post on testing caught my attention. My wife was a student in Asbury’s teacher education program in the late 1990’s. So when I had the opportunity to view the archived “Kentucky Tonight” program, I think I was able to appreciate the various points of view within their context. Today, my wife and I both teach at a private Christian school in the southeast. Our school, just this year, has introduced online norm referenced testing (specifically the MAP testing program through NWEA). Although you were unable to appear on the program, I would still be interested to know your particular perspective as a Christian educator on the criteria- vs. norm-referenced testing business. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

In light of your most recent post, "Prichard Committee touting flawed critique of SB 1", thank you.